5/20/2011

My Favorite Precept.


The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. F.Scott Fitzgerald(1896-1940) "The Crack-Up"1936

It is a little difficult for me to explain how I cherish this word by one of my favorite novelists F.S Fitzgerald.
This precept has been so important for me ever since I first met it about four years ago.

 I always agree with the idea that "Intelligence" should be measured by not so much academic ability as "the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time" because that is VERY hard for us to actually do.
 We feel comfortable when we inhabit  a situation which one idea or one principle rules since no need to doubt or bother to think over other choices is requested. In other words, the circumstance is easy.
 However, for instance, it's so hard to follow the lessons of Zen buddhism or appreciate beautiful words by Buddha while you are a pious Christian. Being a Christian requests you to follow Jesus Christ and not to do any other instructions in an extream case.(In reality, I was in the Assembly of God for 10 years and nothing is more stifling than being told to follow what the Bible tells almost 100%.
 I believe the precept above by Fitzgerald does have something to do with a secret behind how we could realize peace which lets a large number of different ideas co-exist in this world at the same time.
 We should try to be "Intelligent" in terms of that idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment